Excerpts and summaries from “History of the First Presbyterian Church” compiled by Oscar D. McCollum, Jr., edited and designed by Krystine Lewis, 2011
When our church was organized in 1886, Glenwood Springs had been incorporated only one year. Local residents were replacing their tent houses with log and frame structures. Cooper Avenue was the main street, and the only bridge across the Colorado River was at the foot of Cooper Avenue. Doc Holliday moved to town in 1887 shortly before the construction of the new Presbyterian Church was begun. The pioneer missionary Rev. Thomas C. Kirkwood was the organizing pastor.
Electric lights were installed in the sanctuary in 1891. Later that year President Benjamin Harrison visited Glenwood Springs and attended services at our church.
In 1898 a new building was constructed for the contract cost of $647.90. The new building looked much like the present sanctuary except that it was painted brown and the front steps were in two banks, one going down to the south and the other matching it to the north.
In May 1905 President Theodore Roosevelt came to Glenwood to hunt bear and other animals and worshiped at our church.
The Education Wing was built behind the existing structure at a contract price of $16,850, and it was dedicated on Sept. 18, 1955.
In the 1970s combined choirs from First Presbyterian and First Methodist Churches sang for the Christmas services at both churches. In 1972 total membership was 140, and the budget was $18,000.
In July 2011 the church celebrated a wonderful 125th Anniversary. Oscar McCullum compiled a book HISTORY OF THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, edited and designed by Krystine Lewis. This article is taken from that book. For a complete list of pastors and many more details, please pick up a copy of the book in the church foyer.