A hallmark of our church is outreach into our local community and throughout the world. One Square Meal is our featured mission emphasis for the Spring and Summer. We use the produce from our community garden plus other donated foods to prepare and serve a nutritious meal to adults and children living in the Machebeuf Apartments. Partnering with Mountain View Church and Catholic Charities, this is truly an cumenical outreach into our community. Summer 2019 we prepared and served lunch on 6 Fridays, totaling 227 meals including 170 lunches for children and 57 lunches for adults. The children also enjoyed crafts and science activities.
Other local missions include the following:
- Yamaha High School Teen Parent Program with a yearly diaper and wipes drive and occasional donations of baby blankets. In Feb. 2020 we delivered 1,425 diapers and 3,156 wipes to the school.
- Lift Up, our food pantry in the Roaring Fork Valley, is our mission emphasis in October. We trick or treat for Lift Up at Halloween. In Oct. 2019 we collected 254.50 pounds of food for Lift Up. Throughout the year we collect food weekly and deliver it to Lift Up. In Jan. 2020 we delivered 37.5 pounds of food – collected by our children in their Advent Boxes.
Feed My Sheep – housing for the homeless. We gave our Christmas Eve 2019 offering of $771.00
- Community Garden – We plant, water, weed, and harvest vegetables from our two community garden plots. We added the second plot in 2020. We plan to contribute lots of fresh veggies to Lift Up to help feed our community, especially this summer with many people needing emergency food bags. Our congregation will also share our fresh veggies.
- Worldwide missions include the following:
- One Great Hour of Sharing is our yearly Lenten emphasis. The children color the fish banks and distribute them to the congregation. They are collected at Easter. The congregation is encouraged to donate generously to this offering, over and above the normal pledges. In 2018 we gave $1,569.45 to One Great Hour of Sharing.
- Peace and Global Witness, another special offering of PCUSA, is collected in the Fall. In 2019 we sent $382.50 to the national church and $127.50 to Youth Zone, our local recipient.