A hallmark of our church is outreach into our local community and throughout the world. One Square Meal is our featured mission emphasis for the Spring and Summer. We use the produce from our community garden plus other donated foods to prepare and serve a nutritious meal to adults and children living in the Machebeuf Apartments. Partnering with Mountain View Church and Catholic Charities, this is truly an cumenical outreach into our community. Summer 2018 we averaged 30 children and 17 adults each week and about 12 volunteers. The craft table was a big hit.
In 2019 we serve lunches on June 7, 14, and 21 and August 2, 9, and 16. Volunteer jobs include Food Prep, Set Up, Serving Food, Clean Up, Craft Table, and Book Blanket.
Other local missions include the following:
- Yamaha High School Teen Parent Program with occasional lunches and a yearly diaper and wipes drive and occasional donations of baby blankets.
- Lift Up, our food pantry in the Roaring Fork Valley, is our mission emphasis in February and October. We trick or treat for Lift Up at Halloween and collect many bags of food. In 2017 we donated part of our Christmas Eve offering to this worthy mission.
- Trick or Treat for Lift up
Feed My Sheep – housing for the homeless. We gave $1500 in 2017.
- Community Garden – We plant, water, weed, and harvest vegetables from our community garden plot. These are used for One Square Meal, Lift Up donations, and our own congregation.
- Worldwide missions include the following:
- Presbyterian Disaster Relief – Part of our Christmas Eve offering in 2017 was designated for disaster relief in the USA and part was designated for refugee assistance.
- One Great Hour of Sharing is our yearly Lenten emphasis. The children color the fish banks and distribute them to the congregation. They are collected at Easter. The congregation is encouraged to donate generously to this offering, over and above the normal pledges. In 2018 we gave $1,569.45 to One Great Hour of Sharing.